Leadership and…Human Rights
February 22, 2012 Leave a comment
Honoring Human Rights
As business leaders, it is our responsibility to honor human rights in all that we do. Article 1 of the The UN Universal Declaration of Human Rights says that:
All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.
What Does Honoring Human Rights Look Like?
These sources discuss human rights issues that business people need to be aware of, and explain how to lead in ways that support human rights:
Human Rights Compliance Assessment (HRCA) Quick Check humanrightsbusiness.org
Business and Human Rights Resource Center, Principles and Standards business-humanrights.org
Guiding Principles on Business and Human Rights: Implementing the United Nations ‘Protect, Respect and Remedy Framework United Nations General Assembly Human Right Council, ohchr.org
Top Ten Business and Human Rights Issues Institute for Human Rights and Business, irhb.org
Profit at What Price? Amnesty International Business and Human Rights
Questions to Consider
1. How well do we understand our responsibility as leaders to protect human rights?
2. How well are we respecting human rights in our work and leadership?
3. What improvements would put us in alignment with the guiding principles listed above?
Linda Fisher Thornton is Adjunct Assistant Professor of Leadership for the University of Richmond School of Professional and Continuing Studies. She is also CEO/Owner of Leading in Context LLC, a consulting firm helping business leaders lead responsibly in a complex world.
A Guide to Finding What You Need: How to Use the Leading in Context® Website
You are invited to access the full benefits that Leading in Context provides to customers and subscribers:
- Access selected publications via Slideshare
- Develop ethical leaders using materials purchased from the Store
- Participate via twitter @leadingincontxt
- Connect via the Leading in Context Facebook Page
- Connect on Google Plus
- Subscribe to the Leading in Context® Blog, which addresses ethical leadership issues in engaging weekly posts designed for business leaders
- Contact Linda Fisher Thornton about your consulting, custom design, group facilitation, research or writing projects at Linda@LeadinginContext.com