How Is Ethical Leadership a Strategic Advantage?
January 23, 2013 13 Comments
By Linda Fisher Thornton
The Human Factor (India) asked me about ethical leadership trends from 2012 and predictions for 2013 for its January Issue on HR and Business Trends 2013. The article includes observations about:
- How ethical leadership is evolving
- Why we need to aim higher than simply obeying laws
- How ethical leadership helps businesses compete, and
- Three important areas of focus in ethical leadership for 2013
The Future of Ethical Leadership
“The future of ethical leadership involves a high degree of ethical awareness and ethical competence that is intentionally managed by business leaders. It involves considering a broader definition of ‘stakeholders,’ a desire to give back and contribute to the greater good, and a lower tolerance for harm to people and the planet. ”
Linda Fisher Thornton, It’s Time to Practice Ethical Leadership, January 2013 Issue, The Human Factor (pages 50-51)
The full article (page 50) includes predictions and practical recommendations for areas of focus in 2013.
How is Ethical Leadership a Strategic Advantage?
Businesses that are proactive and that make ethical leadership a priority will benefit in many ways. Here are three of the many ways that ethical leadership helps us compete:
- Ethical consumerism is growing. Consumers increasingly expect businesses to think beyond their own gain and to demonstrate concern and care for a broad array of stakeholders. Businesses that show concern earn the loyalty of increasingly savvy consumers who want to support ethical companies.
- Ethical leadership and high-trust cultures bring out the best performance people have to offer, and bringing out people’s best performance will help our businesses compete effectively in today’s global marketplace.
- Having strong ethical leadership and a high-trust culture will help us attract and retain the best talent. The capable and ethical people that we attract when we lead ethically will delight our customers, help us get more done, and improve our brand.
Welcome to the era where ethical leadership is a strategic advantage.
2014 Bronze Axiom Business Book Award Winner About 7 Lenses Info@LeadinginContext.com @leadingincontxt @7Lenses
© 2013 Leading in Context LLC