Ethical leadership competence is an issue that is gaining attention. Expectations of “good leadership” are increasing and leaders and organizations are scrambling to keep up. While sometimes people disagree about implementation, there is a strong consensus among scholars and research organizations that today’s leadership requires broad, high level thinking.
With expectations for good leadership continuing to expand, some organizations still do not have leader competence on their strategy agendas.
5 Compelling Reasons Leader Competence Should be a Top Strategic Priority:
- Competence informs thinking. Failing to stay competent, leaders may not be capable of thinking through the complex issues and situations they face in a global society and economy.
- Competence informs action. Failing to stay competent, leaders may solve the wrong problems or solve the right problems the wrong way.
- Competence fuels learning and growth. Failing to stay competent, leaders may get “stuck in place” and become entrenched in the face of challenges (instead of growing through them).
- Competence is required by law. There are laws and regulations in place to protect those who stay competent from being harmed by those who don’t.
- Competence fuels great performance. Competent leaders know how to develop competent associates who deliver great performance.
Leader competence is either going to be a multiplier or a divider. When you have it, you multiply performance and trust, with exponential results. Without it, you divide your possible results by the incompetence factor. The more leaders who are behind the times, the higher the incompetence factor that is eroding your organization’s desired results. Can you afford to take the chance? Put ethical leadership competence on your strategic agenda this year.
Follow the Leading in Context Blog @leadingincontxt!
Learn To See Through All 7 Lenses of Ethical Responsibility
Includes case examples and questions.
Click the book cover for a preview.
Unleash the Positive Power of Ethical Leadership®
©2017 Leading in Context LLC
Reblogged this on Gr8fullsoul.