I have a special message for our 2019 graduates. It includes five important life insights that I wish someone had shared with me when I was a new graduate beginning the next chapter of my life.
5 Insights For the Class of 2019
- Take The Journey – Remember that while many will try to sell you the “quick fix” and “easy out,” it is doing the work and taking on the struggle and the growth that provide lasting success in life.
- Know Your Values – Figure out the qualities in yourself that you most want to cultivate. Know the ethical values that you believe in deeply and want to live up to.
- Commit to Investigative Learning – Learn how to find relevant information in a sea of content. Decide to do more than take information at face value. Learn how to identify fake news and sort out the misleading from the true.
- Learn Ethical Thinking and Communication – There is much more to learn beyond “do unto others.” Learn how to untangle ethical issues and talk about them calmly and respectfully, even when you disagree. Learn how to honor multiple stakeholders and look for solutions that benefit all.
- Decide to Make a Difference – Just “showing up” to work does not make a good life. Find a cause you are passionate about that serves others in your community. It will offer you stability and satisfaction as you weather the normal ups and downs of life.
While the world will pull you in many different compelling directions, it is your values that will keep you anchored. Become aware of them. Nurture them…Know what you believe in. Live it. Set an example for others by building a good, ethical life in a chaotic world.
We are counting on you.
Subscribe at LeadinginContext.com/Blog or follow @leadingincontxt for new insights every week.
Unleash the Positive Power of Ethical Leadership®
©2019 Leading in Context LLC